Monday, February 8, 2010

Searching for rock bottom

Last weekend was a big weekend for me. I had plans, man. The first part of the plan was buy a bottle of whiskey. I was in the whiskey desert, trying to stay warm with brandy. But it was time for celebration and I was going to do it the whiskey way. The plan was to buy a bottle of Old Grand-Dad. I've never had it, but it got good reviews everywhere I looked. Why not?

And there it was. About a month ahead of schedule.

Paddy

Paddy's Irish whiskey. Said to be the most mellow of all Irish whiskey. Surely this was a good sign.

The next travail was to break a world record for a hockey game attendance. The last record was set at Spartan Stadium in 2001. Camp Randall has about 10,000 persons more capacity and a sell out would break the record. Would they do it?

IMG_9708

Things filled out by the end of the first period, but the upper decks were not opened. No. We did not break any records.

IMG_9739

Both teams wore the away jerseys? Well, the away sweaters look cooler anyways.

IMG_9783

For the first period Red Berenson didn't wear a coat or a hat. Just his usual dark blue suit. Hardcore, man. But eventually even he broke down and by the third period he had a hat and coat on.

IMG_9815

It was 19 degrees out. While that may not sound cold to you, after the first hour it was pretty brutal. It is a lot different when you are sitting down rather than walking. After the game by the time I had walked to downtown my feet were warm/had feeling again. But that 3rd period was brutal. The game took about 20 minutes longer than it should have because they were trying to fix the crease at the far end. They stopped the game 3 times and spent over five minutes each time working on the ice.

It was a brutal game. Michigan was up 2-1 in the 3rd period with 8 minutes to go. But then they pissed their lead away, getting 3 penalties in the last 5 minutes of the game and letting Wisconsin score twice to go home losers, 3-2.

Yeah, it was a bad loss. I spent the rest of the night in that bottle of Paddy's trying to find rock bottom. I think I found it somewhere on the lake. I slipped and fell on the ice and wasn't sure if I broke anything. My hip is still sore.



It was not to be.

So there you have it. If you appreciate a smooth, mellow whiskey Paddy is your man. It is priced about the same as Jameson and has a really pretty label. If you are trying to reach rock bottom, Paddy will help you get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment