Sunday, August 5, 2012

Blackstrap Rum

This summer is hot.  You might sit around and bitch about the heat, but remember if you were on vacation in Cozumel and it was this temperature you would probably be saying "isn't this great?".  For me, this is a vacation in my head.  We are all on vacation in the tropics.

The last time Mr. Booze was in the tropics he drank Cruzan rum.  And in my head I am in the tropics, so again I am drinking Cruzan rum.  This week's treat is Cruzan's Blackstrap rum.



Photo courtesy of some jerk on the internet I don't know.  Thanks buddy!

Yeah, so as you can see this stuff is the color of motor oil.  Kinda weird.  I guess they use a different grain of molasses.  It is a really heavy rum, as you might imagine.  It is apparently aged for 2 years, which is a long time in the tropics.  But how does it taste?

I like it.  But I can understand why you might not.  It has a slight bitter flavor in the back, which balances the sweetness up front.  It really coats the palate and has a long finish.  It is a bit spicy, but not like a spiced rum spicyness.  It is smooth but not mellow, if you know what I mean.  And it definitely has character.  Cruzan rum is sentimental for me, but also very economically priced.  A much better taste and lower price than your typical Bacardi or Cap'n Morgan.

My favorite rum is still Ron Abuelo, but I like this for what it is.  And that's the word from the bottom shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment