Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Bourbon Reprise

This weekend I had two choices for bourbon. Tondar gave Ezra Brooks a thumbs up. The Kentucky Cats gave Rebel Yell a thumbs up. In my readings I saw that Rebel Yell uses wheat in the mash instead of the usual rye. Similar wheated whiskeys are Maker's Mark and Old Fitzgerald. Well, I seem to recall that Maker's Mark is good. So could Rebel Yell be the poor man's Maker's Mark?

The bottle, sitting on the bottom shelf, was coated in a thin film of dust. People up here in the Northlands probably aren't into Southern whiskey. They definitely aren't into Billy Idol whiskey. Now if this was The Joker whiskey, I suspect it would fly off the shelves.

The answer is yes. I like this bourbon. It is not harsh, so you can drink a lot and not get a hangover. It doesn't have the sharpness of the rye whiskies, so if that is what you are looking for you will be disappointed. It is a sweet whiskey, so if you prefer a dry whiskey you will also be disappointed. If you like Maker's Mark, I suspect this will do when you find yourself in the unemployment line.

I feel like I should write more, but I can't find the words. I don't want to persuade you to try this whiskey if it isn't to your tastes. So much of whiskey is your own tastes. But it meets the minimum requirement which is it doesn't have that rubbing alcohol aroma and kerosene flavor. For the price I won't complain.

Tune in next week for the great American Brandy showdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment