Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The process of elimination

Previously I started on what may be a quixotic quest to find a real value bourbon. A diamond in the rough if you will; very cheap but of surprisingly good taste and smoothness. I've found that sort of rough diamond with brandy and Canadian whisky, so why not bourbon? The list was:

Rebel Yell
Old Grand-dad
Ezra Brooks
Old Crow
Ancient Age
Ten High
Old Fitzgerald
Evan Williams
Early Times

Tondar voiced objections to Evan Williams and Early Times. Based on reviews, Evan Williams seemed like Jim Beam with a different label and a bit cheaper price. Early Times, as it turns out, is not bourbon proper because it reuses the barrels. True bourbon can use the barrels only once. I didn't think this was a problem because other whiskies of the world go and use those former bourbon barrels to make some great booze. Still, if a hooch it be, off the list it goes. Finally, there is Ten High. I really wanted to like this one, based solely on the name. It is a poker term, a ten high straight. It sounds like the sort of bourbon grandpa drank back in the 70s. It got good enough reviews (unfortunately they all did), but it got the worst of the good reviews. Some blogger even claimed it was blended with vodka. This I don't believe, because in order to be whiskey it has to be aged in oak for at least 3 years. Still, as a safe precaution I have scratched Ten High from the list as well.

The revised list is:

Rebel Yell
Old Grand-dad
Ezra Brooks
Old Crow
Ancient Age
Old Fitzgerald

My Kentucky contacts think Rebel Yell is a winner, so that is probably enough in my book. Though I shudder to think I might drink a Confederate whiskey. Or a Billy Idol whiskey.

No comments:

Post a Comment