Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The transcendental meditations of Ronnie James Dio

Some of you might be mystified at the lyrics penned by Ronnie James Dio. After all, a metaphor such as a "rainbow in the dark" might need some clarification. As Dio states:

When there's lightning
You know it always brings me down
'Cause it's free and I see
that its me who's lost and never found

A cry out for magic
I feel it dancing in the light
It was cold, lost my hold
To the shadows of the night

No sign of the morning coming
You've been left on your own
Like a rainbow in the dark,
A rainbow in the dark

Left on your own, like a rainbow in the dark? I've never seen a rainbow in the dark. Is it on its own? Well, let's examine this subject...

It turns out that rainbows do in fact occur in the dark, in a way. Not, of course, total darkness. But at night, a time we refer to as "dark", rainbows do come out from time to time. It is called a "moonbow". Check it out:



Now I know what you are thinking. Holy crap my mind's just been blown. Well, as if you needed more evidence of the erudition of Dio:



"Why should we think that this should last forever? I was just as happy - and I'm sure Wendy was just as happy before - struggling and being happy together." Indeed! Finding happiness in penury as easily as in prosperity reminds me of Aristotle's argument on happiness and God...

"God himself bears witness to this conclusion. His is happy and blessed; but he is so in and by himself, by reason of the nature of his being, and not by virtue of any external good. This will explain why there must always be a difference between being happy and and being fortunate. Accident and chance are causes of the goods external to the soul; but no man can be just and temperate merely from chance or by chance." - Aristotle Politics; VII - 1323.21

Maybe tomorrow I will draw the link between Dio and Voltaire. Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away...

1 comment:

  1. What an analysis! You are obviously an intellectual master, a true artisan of the tongue-in-cheek.

    Personally, I've always been impressed with Dio's lyrics, but then what do I know? I'm addicted to the works of Keats and Shelley and that dusty old Shakespeare stuff. Metaphorical references are so anachronistic. Today's songs need to be socially significant to our times. No rainbow references! No absolutes! No metaphors! Our times cry out for songs of such significant social relevance as say, Baby Got Back!

    ReplyDelete